Re: Heat problems

To: lbc@littlebitcountry.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Heat problems
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 19:03:50 -0700 FILETIME=[822BF5F0:01C23CED]
Dave,

If you're not carrying a passenger (and even if you are), open the heater
valve and turn the fan on high.  Amazing how much heat transference takes
place via heater.  Be sure the compartment flap is open, BTW.

Did you try gauges besides OEM Bugeye?  When compared to a "good" gauge, my
Smith was 13 degrees high, as were two others ('50's version of a built in
safety margin).   When you say "hot", is your engine making "boiling"
noises...that's hot!

Check your ignition timing.  Being off a few degrees can be enough to make
an engine run hot, especially 'retarded'.

What plugs are you running?

Try Redline's "Water Wetter" for additional reduction.  Water, alone, tends
to make an engine run hotter.

You said you installed an electric fan, but it only helps if the engine is
off.  Could it be restricting air flow while driving?

If you are using a stock Bugeye radiator, it does have the attached
shrouding, right?

Thermostat functional?

Just my two cents.  Good luck

WFO Herb