RE: header theories

To: "'Wm. Severin Thompson'" <wsthompson@thicko.com>, MGTD2@aol.com
Subject: RE: header theories
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 08:34:39 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net, team-thicko@autox.team.net
BE THE Exhaust Molecule...

Well depends upon the motor.
 but what we run is a medium sized LCB (that splits apart for easy removal).
make sure it has a big a radius wherever it can. and go into a 2" STRAIGHT
pipe, no curves bends..ending into a supertrapp. the straighter the better.
we use the supertrapp because its a reasonable way to be decible freindly at
tracks and around home and the street. and i can change the decibles
depending on my mood.
the header is slightly bigger than the exhaust port causing a theoretical
slight "check valve" effect.  we also run an oil pressure vaccuum line with
a nascar check valve into the 2" for crankcase ventilation (really only
works at lower rpm's) with a second check valve into a crankase exhaust
tank. make sure there is no welding junk or excess metal in the header.
smooth it out. and always go from smaller to bigger on your pipe transitions
when possible.
some people run header wrap because its supposed to have a
"scavenging/pulling" effect. what it DOES do is keep the header area cooler
for the carbs, and rust the hell out of your header.

RK