Re: header theories

To: "Robert E. Shlafer" <PilotRob@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: header theories
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 14:44:36 -0700
Cc: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>, MGTD2@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net, team-thicko@autox.team.net
Not to get too far away from our LBCs, exhaust systems for V-Twin motorcycles
like the Harley Davidson are a tremendous aftermarket to cater to motorcycle
tuners.  There are several manufacturer's that stand out, but I have noticed a
similar concern with low end to mid-range torque loss with open headers (maybe
not legal, but tolerated her in Kalifornia-for now) that a lot of owners convert
to.  The answer from some of the major manufacturers is something called a
"torque cone".  This is nothing more than a truncated funnel that fits in the
header where it attaches to the cylinder.  It applies enough back pressure at
low
speeds to help with the torques loss, but will pass enough air at high rpms to
not effect the torque in the upper bands.  It would be interesting if we could
run a high flow exhaust and muffler on our cars and try one of these torque
cones
at the head.  Not cheap at around $70 apiece though.
Mike MacLean-60 Sprite