RE: vintage race tires

To: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>, "David C Littlefield" <dmeadow@juno.com>, <vainent@nfdc.net>
Subject: RE: vintage race tires
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 06:35:38 +1000
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Agree with the flounder -- Street TDs are the most fun to drive on and offer
excellent performance in the dry. Not a lot of feedback in the wet though...

My experience with the Yoko A032R is a little different from
David's. While they generate dry grip very quickly (1 or 2 corners and
they are "on the ball"), but they go off after about around 5 laps and
are very squirmy. The lap times are still good, but they feel
terrible. I have found them very nice in the wet yes, they slide
around a little, but they are soooo progressive that you have heaps of
time to get back into shape. I use them as my "wet" on the track and
have great cause to be grateful for their progressive feel!!!

You want to be careful with the Yokos, if you do keep running them in
the dry to the "squirmy levels (i.e. > ~5 laps)", it seems to
significantly reduce they performance. The best estimate is 3-5 of
those cycles and you can throw away more than 3 secs/lap! (i.e. they
are throwaways). On top of that, they wet performance and
progressiveness goes down the toilet after too many heavy duty cycles
like that.

I've used them on tarmac space stage rallies and they keep on trucking
wet/dry for ages, but I don't think they are suited for hard dry track duty.

We also get a tyre from Dunlop -- D98J Formula R in 175/60R13, great tyre wet
or dry and not as prone to overcooking and these days run by the vast
majority of our local spridget racers.

Mike