Re: electrical and SUV imitation

To: Dbcooper292@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: electrical and SUV imitation
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 09:14:26 -0700
The 1500 Midgets with catalytic converters have a service life.  Believe it
or not, it's only supposed to be 20000 miles.  The gear box you refer to is
the service life indicator.  The speedo cable feeds into one end from the
tranny, and then a short speedo cable exits the other side and continues to
the speedometer.  The counter reads in % of life remaining on the catalytic
converter, and when it gets to zero, there is an idiot light on the console
that lights up and says "catalyst".  You were then supposed to run down to
your neighborhood BL dealer and pay oh, about $300 for a new catalytic
converter. (That's right, every 20,000 miles).  With California's stricter
emissions laws, the 1978 and 1979 models received their first replacement
catalytic converter at no charge, assuming of course that there still was a
BL dealer when your 79 reached 20,000 miles!  So, unless you are restoring
the car, remove the little gear box, tape off the wires, and run a hollow
catalytic converter.

The Pektron box is the brain that runs the seat belt warning system.  It
senses door ajar, ignition key position, transmission gear selection, and
whether someone is in the seat, and sounds the warning buzzer, and or seat
belt warning light if you attempt to drive without your seat belt fastened.
I've yet to come across a Midget where that box was functioning.  As with
the other gizmo, throw out the seat switches, replace the driver's side door
switch with a twin to the passengers side, but leave the box plugged into
the harness.
David Riker
63 Falcon
70 Torino