Re: New Problem with 1275

To: toyman@digitex.net, spridgets@autox.team.net, midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: New Problem with 1275
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 10:55:33 EDT
toyman@digitex.net writes:

> the car was humming along just fine. A
> nice raspy exhaust note, and then, all of a sudden, it started missing
> and running like crap. I limp it home, it is sputtering and almost no
> power. I pull all the plugs, they are sooty, but not enough to cause
> this, I don't think. I look in the radiator and no bubbles. I don't know
> what this could be, I am suspecting a head gasket. What sayeth the
> list??

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Keep in mind that 90% of fuel problems are electrical.  I would check all the
ignition parts before pulling the head.  My car had innumerable problems with
brand new, OEM plug wires that simply had no spring to the terminals.  I
replaced them with Magnecor wires.

Check points, and the little braided ground wire under the point mounting
plate. Replace the condenser, which can cause those symptoms exactly.  Is the
dizzy cap cracked?  Any corrosion on the rotor contacts?

Do all that first.  If the problem came on quickly, I would suspect ignition
before a head gasket.

Let us know what you find.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward