RE: I'm getting bad vibrations

To: <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: I'm getting bad vibrations
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 08:40:00 +1000
Jay Shaffer asked:

>The only play I'm finding seems to be the outer lower fulcrum pin. My
>question is which parts to replace? So far I've heard answers ranging from
>just replace the fulcrum pin to I need to replace the a-arm, the fulcrum
pin
>and the king pin, and while I'm at I should replace the "wimpy" front
>spindles. How can I quantify just what needs replacing?

Firstly, go and do the checks listed at
http://www.ahsdc.org/goblins/tech/frontend.htm

That will tell you if anything else is in *need* of repair/replacement.

Now my observations:

1) just replacing the fulcrum pin is a waste of time. The pin rotates on its
threads
and since the pin is hardened, the wear is not just limited to the pin
itself -
the threaded insert in the a-arm is certain to be worse!

While you can buy the repair kit and braze them in yourself, most folks just
buy
reconditioned (change-over) units. I think Peter C now has a-arms with
grease nipples
on both sides of the a-arm (much better).

2) The link above will tell you if you need to replace kingpin and bushes.

3) for competition, you *must* get the spindles crack tested. Whether you
replace
them with high strength units or not is your choice, but if you don't, you
should
crack test them every season.

I know the link mentions it, but I'll just reinforce that you should check
the
tie-rod end too.

Mike