Re: Welding and engine/transmission choices

To: Jacques Le Clainche <jleclainche@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Welding and engine/transmission choices
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 23:13:21 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Jacques Le Clainche wrote:

> Question 1: I need to learn welding... fast!... MIG easier and > cheaper way
>to go?
> Is this something I can learn on my own or should I go to a
> welding class?

I learned on my own. I have been told my welds are "gorilla welds"
Ugly but strong. Practice and reading the instruction sheet will teach
you how to weld patch panels.
Structural steel welds may require a welding class.

Best place/model to buy MIG equipment in So Cal?

I had a Miller, now a Lincoln.
I miss my Miller and will buy another as soon as this POS lincoln gets
tossed in the bay.

> Question 2: I have 1275cc for the car... but no transmission... Buy a 5
> speed and conversion kit? Or buy Datsun engine/transmission, as recently
> suggested?  I am after a fast and RELIABLE motor/tranny combo which fit
> EASILY into the Sprite.

Power it with a Datsun engine and you have to leave this list ;)
Just the sound of a 1275 vs a rice engine should make up your mind.
Do you want it to sound like the kid up the street with a coffee can
muffler?

> Question 3: Any chance of starting an O.S.H.I.T team in San Diego?

The ORIGINAL O-shits will gladly come out and help.
You provide plane tickets, lodging, Disney Land passes, and booze!
We'll be there.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ