No Brake nor Gas Pedal

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>, Minors <morris@autox.team.net>
Subject: No Brake nor Gas Pedal
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 13:30:48 -0700
Hi All,

I don't understand the flap over this.  I don't know about you guys and
gals, but I've had LBC's that had the same features up to almost 50
years ago!  Some had no exhaust emission, just lots of water in them!!

What say you?

>From the APNews:

 Sep 26, 10:57 AM (ET)

 By JOSEPH COLEMAN

 PARIS (AP) - Ford widened its appeal in Europe
 with a sports car and convertible. DaimlerChrysler
 set new levels for luxury with a $310,000
 Maybach. And drivers won't find any brake or gas
 pedals on General Motor's new prototype -
 everything's electronic.

 The Paris Auto Show opened on Thursday with
 plenty of dazzle and drama as hundreds of
 manufacturers presented their newest models,
 ranging from homey basics like Mazda's latest
 hatchback to concept cars that may never see
 the road.

 For scientific wizardry, it was hard to beat GM's Hy-wire, which the
company
 claims is the first drivable vehicle that combines a hydrogen fuel cell
with by-wire
 technology, which replaces steering, brake and acceleration mechanisms
with
 electronic controls.

 GM was eager to put itself on the technological cutting edge. Company
officials
 said they developed the prototype less than a year after unveiling the
AUTOnomy
 concept vehicle at the Detroit Auto Show.

   Larry Burns, GM vice president in charge of development and planning,
said the
 company was spending hundreds of millions of dollars to create "clean,
efficient,
 very compelling and potentially more affordable vehicles."

 The Hy-wire's fuel cell means it produces no exhaust - only water. And
with all the
 electronics fit into the chassis and no engine in front of the driver,
there is plenty
 of storage space.

 "It holds the promise of eliminating the automobile from the
environmental
 equation," Burns told reporters. He said GM hoped to start using some
of the
 technology for marketable cars by 2010.