Stowe and beyond (Long - PT 1)

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Stowe and beyond (Long - PT 1)
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 14:48:13 -0400
Wed, Sept 18, 1775, The Bloody British are at it again. Oops wrong
story ;-)

Wed, Sept 18, 2002, The Bloody British are at it again. The Rolling
Stones, LIVE, on Stage under the stars!! What a way to begin a
vacation!! Yea I know they are old, but they are still great!. To those
of you that don't wanna hear that, come back to me in 40 years when
your latest favorite band is still selling out stadiums, and has been
for all those 40 years!! Shoulda seen the video that went along with
Honky Tonk Woman!! All I can say is there is a animated cowgirl and
those lips and tongue.

Thursday AM I finished packing the Midget, Smile on my lips and Gimme
Shelter in my head. Then off to Theresa's office for another dentist
appointment. After all the time in the dental chair over the last
months, this was really appropriate to start the travel with.
Afterwards, we met up with a buddy of mine in his truck towing his 1970
Heritage Shelled MGB. and off I-84 N about 7:30PM. We met another
Philly MG Clubber at a rest stop south of Albany NY and went on to
about 11:30 and hit a motel for the night. The Midget with the 5-speed
ran like a top. A bit warm, but we were cruising the Interstate. Doing
70 I was running about 3500 RPM. Considering that in August I was
running 4200 to hit 70, I'll take it.

The next morning we set off for Stowe, 2 MGB's and a 5-speed Midget
(followed by the tow truck). Rt 100 from Rutland, VT to Stowe is a very
pretty drive and curvy fun too. No biggies along the way, just a
top-down blast. Of course we had to stop at that American Icon, Ben &
Jerry's for a bit of ice scream. You know those 2 started out from a $5
correspondence course on how to make ice cream?? They sold it a few
years ago for some big bucks!!

It sprinkled on us a bit as we headed off to Stowe. Got to Stowe with
out an incident and headed off to the ski lodge to check in. Then over
to the show field to get registered and meet up with the rest of the
Philly MG Club contingent. There was a guy there doing digital
photographs so we got him to do our small group (6 cars, 11 people)
against the mountain. That pic became the talk of the show the next day
and was known as the "famous group pic". I guess most folks just got
their own cars shot, but not the group they came with.

Saturday, Sept 21, The Bloody British are at it again. Well they
actually do call it the British Invasion. There were a total of 599
LBC's, BBC,s OBC's (Big and Odd for those of you out of the loop). Some
cars for sale and a nice Concours area. Popular voting on the show
field (I didn't get any thing, but one of our Philly group got 2nd in
RB MGB's). Met up with Mike Weeks and his Sprite with the high back
seats. (look comfy too) Later, met <dnw> Dave Waldeman and Paul T?? (i
am gonna get shot, forgot the last name and I should KNOW IT!!). Found
a nice Laycock overdrive tranny for a 1500 and called Frank to post it
to the list. I guess no one was interested. Never went back to get the
number either.

Never saw so many British cars in one spot in my life before. My first
trip there. Healey's, big and small (a very nice husband and wife pair
of green Bugeye's, she won the class), MG's of all sizes and sorts,
Morgans, Triumph's, Land Rovers, Singers, Jags, and miscellaneous
others. Very warm day. After the show we headed off for dinner, in the
rain, at a nice Italian place that is a charter member of the "Slow
Dining Society". And it was Sloooooowwwww, but excellent. The next
morning we were going to go back to the field for the "Backseat Driver
Contest" and the Tailgating party, but it rained so much I was afraid
the field would be a mudbath. So the rest of the Philly contingent
headed south for Philadelphia and environs and Theresa, the Midget and
I headed east for Jackson, NH and the Mt. Washington area.

That is enough for now. I will add the next chapter tomorrow. And also
I will be posting some pics of this journey.

Later,
Larry
--

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu

The bottom line: Sure, there's pain in adopting the Mac. But if I accept
that, I get to use a computer that works, and that pretty much does
what I
expect and want a computer to do.
Stewart Alsop
FORTUNE.com