Serial #'s one more time-BUGEYE

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, bugeye@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Serial #'s one more time-BUGEYE
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 17:02:13 EDT
List,---OK, Let me put my notes together and see if we all agree and if not,
why not.
# 1. There is a data plate screwed onto the longitudinal frame member under
the carbs. Can we call this the vehicle ID number? It is what is on my title.
  # 2 There are tags riveted on the door jams, one on each side. Mine are
missing so I do not know if they are the same or are different or match the
other numbers. Can anyone give me any input on this?
  # 3 There is a five digit number stamped into the sheet metal on the right
side by the heater blower motor. I believe this was a number stamped by
"Pressed Steel" for their identification and was never recorded. My notes
show this number was never the same as the screwed on plate ( # 1 above) but
usually close,--maybe within 100.This is what I have heard called the "secret
number",visable if you look, but quite often covered over by paint.
  # 4 there are other numbers I have heard about but do not see on my Bugeye,
such as on the floor in front of the frame rail on the passengers side and up
front by the shock dampener. I've got new floors.
  # 5 What I was advocating was for folks to record the "secret"number to
help in deterring theft. There is/was a fellow in Hershey,PA who organized a
Sprite Registry years ago. I'll check on his status. Maybe we could register
with him?
 # 6 All the above is related to Bugeyes.
      Bob C. in KS