Re: Adventures in engine pulling/ring gear installation

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "Eddie Sheffield" <esheffield@i-plus.net>
Subject: Re: Adventures in engine pulling/ring gear installation
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 06:18:24 -0500
> First, there's a tooth gone on the ring gear and most of the others are
> pretty beat up. Kind of a surprise as I haven't really had any problems
> starting. So I just put in an order for a new one. But is this something I
> can install myself? I've read the instructions in the Bentley manual and
it
> sounds pretty simple, except will a standard houshold over be good enough?
> My grandfather installed one on an old tractor once using a regular oven.
> But the manual gives the temp range as 572 - 732 degrees. My oven only
goes
> to 550. Maybe on broil? How about removing the old one? Manual says to use
> cold chisel - that still the best?

Removing the old one was not a problem for me as the dpo had never actually
gotten it all the way on. I set the flywheel onto something to hold it off
the ground, took the hammer and chisel and drove it back off. Alternately a
cutoff wheel on a dremel, used judiciously, would probably take a little
longer, but might make you feel better :-)
So much for the easy part.
Putting it back on was a chore. I read all the resources I could find and
they were not much help. I tried freezing the flywheel while cooking the
ring gear in the oven to no avail. I tried using a propane torch and just
wasted a lot of propane.
What worked for me  (YMMV, etc) was to take the top grill out of my gas
grill, turn both burners to high and cook the ring gear in there for a
while. When I thought it was hot enough, I took it out, set it on the ground
and put the flywheel onto it. Slipped right on. If you get it hot enough,
you do NOT have to beat it into place. In fact, my findings were that if I
had to reach for the hammer it was too late and too cold.
Good luck!
David Lieb
Too many RWAs (is never enough)