Re: Adventures in engine pulling/ring gear installation

To: Eddie Sheffield <esheffield@i-plus.net>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Adventures in engine pulling/ring gear installation
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 07:46:22 -0700 (PDT)
Try heating the ring gear in an oil bath.  In a past life I used an old
homestyle deep fryer filled with synthetic oil (you can heat it hotter before
it flash fires) for crank bearings on air compressors and heavy equipment. For
larger parts such as ring gears for tractors and such we used a cut off oil
drum full of synthetic oil heated over a propane burner like is used to deep
fry turkeys.  Use a themometer and try not to get above the flash point of the
oil.  If the oil flashes, it is a bad bad scene. And to paraphrase a line
already mentioned: "If you have to reach for a hammer to persuade the fit, it
is too late."
 Eddie Sheffield <esheffield@i-plus.net> wrote:First, there's a tooth gone on
the ring gear and most of the others are
pretty beat up. Kind of a surprise as I haven't really had any problems
starting. So I just put in an order for a new one. But is this something I
can install myself? I've read the instructions in the Bentley manual and it
sounds pretty simple, except will a standard houshold over be good enough?
My grandfather installed one on an old tractor once using a regular oven.
But the manual gives the temp range as 572 - 732 degrees. My oven only goes
to 550. Maybe on broil? How about removing the old one? Manual says to use a
cold chisel - that still the best?