Re: Smoking

To: PilotRob@webtv.net
Subject: Re: Smoking
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 11:58:50 EST
Cc: goutvols2@mchsi.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 10/28/02 6:20:57 AM Eastern Standard Time,
PilotRob@webtv.net writes:
> I recommeded a leak-down check but
> considering a compression check would
> make for more pressure within the combustion chamber than a leak-down,
> I think your way is a better bet in terms
> of air bubbles showing up in the water
> within the cooling system.

Another, less sure way, to get information is to remove the radiator cap then
start up the engine.  If the water blows out of the radiator (like mine has
done) it is a pretty good bet you have a blown head gasket.  If it does not
blow out, though, I wouldn't assume the gasket is fine.

--David C.