Re: Ultimate V8 For MGs

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ultimate V8 For MGs
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 09:00:58 -0800 (PST)
--- David Lieb <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com> wrote:
> From: "Neil Cotty" <
>
> > Speaking of V8's, I'm dying to attach this to my 74 BGT
> V8...
> >
> > http://www.piercemanifolds.com/Images/Catalog/K154.htm
> Nah, no provision for airfilters, engine life expectancy
> shrinks too fast.

maybe, but not that I haev noticed!(like the list wars all
over about K&N filters) Seriously! i ran my MGA for ten
years with the race-spec filter elements. they were just
wire mesh two or three layers thick with the cotton only on
the edges so as not to chafe the assy when installed!  ;-0
When the oigiolan engine had to be pulled for a crank
cracked in six places, we checked the bores. They looked
BRAND SPANKING NEW! still lots of beautifull cross-hatching
from the honing, NO ridge at all, etc....
 We've been running motorcycle street-race-bike's with a
double thickness of womens nylons, etc.....the truth on
filters, is they DO keep out particulates, BUUUUUT the
particulats do not really kill the engine. most of the
people I know like to tear the endine down every few years
anyway to re-do something, cam, valves,whatever anyway. i
say don't worry so much. Now on the Land-rovers that is
another story!  ;-0 I have always tried to be carefull with
filtration on their intakes as they are in a dusty/dirty
environment, but I had the Discovery lose the connection
before the mass airflow sensor out in The Anzo Borrega
desert a couple years ago on a high speed race down a
wash(read dust-bowl, powdery stuff!) at night and ingested
mucho dust!  ;-( I'm sure I have lowered the life of the
engine there, but so has the radiator blowing up, than the
water pump later on, than most recently the overflow tank
cracking all causing excessive extreme overheating...and it
still runs great!  ;-)
I feel when it finally goes, i get to play with teh engine
building and make it better!  ;-)

Paul