Re: so....how fast does bare metal rust! ;-(

To: Paul Archibald <androbus@yahoo.com>, Midget/Sprite <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: so....how fast does bare metal rust! ;-(
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 09:56:27 -0800
Paul,

Yes, use some sort of metal prep (phosphoric acid). You can get Jasco Prep
'n Prime at Home Depot and probably other well stocked hardware stores. It
comes in a quart bottle and is a light green color (bottle is transparant
plastic).

Apply it with a brush or sprayer (don't breath the stuff) and let it air
dry (if that's possible today...'-) It will turn the metal dark or even
black where there is rust formed. You can re-wet the areas later or wire
brush/sand it off when you are ready.

What you will find when you get home wonlt be all that bad if you take care
of it right away.

Gerard

At 7:28 AM -0800 11/8/02, Paul Archibald wrote:
>I stripped and sanded the bonnet/left fender to bare
>steel(with a bit-o-paint in some areas) on monday, than had
>to rush out of town for work....I am heading back tonight,
>and am afraid to pull the car-cover off to see the rust
>with the recent rains we have had for two days.  ;-(
>so what's teh solution for stripping off that newly aquired
>rust besides just sanding as some will still be in the
>cracks..phosphoric acid? (and where to get in south
>bay-area on a saturday)
>
> Than I need to find a way to protect it 'til I can spray a
>coat of primer and paint....using rust converter or??????
>unlred someone wants to lend a garage to em to
>finish(kidding..sorta..) ;-)
>
>Paul

Search for Low Airfares, Great Hotel Deals,
Car Rental Discounts and Vacations and Cruises
http://partner.onetravel.com/go/go.cfm?GoID=32421

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux
 E A
  R R        pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com