Dyno tuning

To: team-thicko@autox.team.net
Subject: Dyno tuning
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 11:02:24 -0600
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Listers:
As a result of winning a silent auction at a local benefit dinner the other
night (I was a little deep into the hops and barley), I find myself the
"owner" of a certificate for 1 hour of chassis dyno time.  Now I need help!

Since the racer 1275 Midget runs SU's, there's no jetting changes I can
fiddle with.  I have only one set of alternate jet needles (the Cooper S
spec needles recommended on the internet needle chart for a 1275 with a
little porting, header, and moderate cam).  Timing?  Well, I guess I could
screw around with that, but how do I know if I'm detonating with all that
racket coming from the motor?  What else?

How do I make good use of an hour of dyno time?  Are there any parameters I
can manipulate within the constraints of the dyno session, or did I really
buy just the opportunity to see a stepped readout of HP and torque at
mounting RPM?

Open to any advice and input from those in the know.  Bob Kansa:  I know you
can help me!

--JohnD
(Blunt Head Trauma in Thicko-speak)