Re: Collapsible Steering Column

To: "James Gruber" <thistle_3619@yahoo.com>, <spridgets-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Collapsible Steering Column
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 18:13:32 -0500
as of this specific post we have just stepped into the "spooky liability
zone".  why?  well it's because if i remember right the column sections were
not really "pinned" together but assembled by pressure impregnating nylon
with the two sections held in place untill the nylon cooled.  that "locked"
the two sections of the colapsible column together and at proper length.
it was never meant to be a boon to the service comunity. llike being an aide
to servicing a motor mount.  if the nylon has been broken out it was
intended to be discarded and a new component fit in place of the "damaged
one".   now zooming ahead from original manufacture and intent, the new
replacement is nit an option.  so what do you do to make it colapse upon
contact with your chest ?  i'd say nylon bolts.  but that doesnot address
the posibility of excess play between the two shaft segments.  what to do
there?   innoway am i telling anyone how to do this as i'm not going to do
the "go to court " deal in an injury case resulting in a faulty tampered
with safety device!  but if you choose to try this.....yer on yer own!
remove the entire shaft.  degrease the shaft segments where they slide
together.  remove all rust and paint!  use a high strength epoxy (like 3M
structural adhesive) and use that as a filler between the two shaft
segments.   before that step locate the "pin" holes and drill out one to
accept a nylon bolt and nut.  epoxy coat the inside of the "tube" part of
the shaft, and the outside of the  solid rod segment liberally with equal
parts mixed adhesive.  slide together the two segments and locate the hols
and secure with the nylon bolt.  take a soldering iorn and heat the end of
the bolt so the nut will not come off.  spray the shaft semi gloss balck and
WA-LA!  you have restored a colapsible steering shaft back to being able to
do it's job again.  and in the process you took out the excessive play
between the shaft segments too.
by no means am i advocating modifying a safety device!  meerly offering this
as a "fix" for a component that is no longer available from the original
manufacturer.

chuck.
ya know ya could just weld the two together and call it a day!