RE: Smog test

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Smog test
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 17:48:34 -0800 (PST)
--- Bill Hunt <Billh@aaai.com> wrote:
> >>I find the DMV web site somewhat confusing... If I buy
> a pre-1974 car,
> it is
> exempt from the biennal smog test - but is it also exempt
> from the smog
> test
> required at ever change of ownership?<<
Yes!!!!!!!!

....for now....techinically they can still roll back the
smog test law all the way to 68 if they please, so anything
newer has a .ooooooo1percent chance of ever having to be
smogged.
In California from day one as far as I know, you never have
had to smog anything prior to '68, I've brought in
cars/motorcycles from all over teh country of all ages.

> Based on my experience, yes. I bought my 62 Sprite last
> year (from out
> of state even) and was not required to smog it.
Hell! my '63 midget wasn't registered for ages and I wasn't
even asked for insurance proof! the supervisor we had to
bring in to confirm things musta thought I wasw cute or
something as she looked at the paperwork that was not fully
up to snuff a minute ago, and smiled and said "all is just
fine!" give him his tags!

 Now
> whether 1962 is
> below some other "cutoff" year I don't know. I know years
> ago a friend
> of mine bought a 1959 F-100 and was required to smog it
> before transfer.
Are you posative? That is really wierd. I used to be up on
the laws for years, and never heard of such a thing.

Paul(I was wrong once before, maybe I am again?)