Axle shafts.

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Axle shafts.
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 07:05:50 +1100 tests=EMAIL_ATTRIBUTION,SPAM_PHRASE_00_01,USER_AGENT_OUTLOOK version=2.43
Paul (pacific coast) is right.

I wish we still had archives, I'd just refer you back to earlier posts.

The fatigue life of a component (i.e. the time between manufacture and
failure due
to the slow growth of microscropic fractures to the point where the rate of
crack
growth rapidly accelerates and the part finally fails ), is proportional to
the
peak to peak load history on the component (i.e. there *is* some memory
effect here).

So, always use them in the same side and increase the component life.

This is all as a result of the obvious fact that the torsional loading on
the shaft
from engine drive is much higher than the load from braking.

You can tell which side the shaft came out of (if you forgot to label them)
by looking
at the face of the splines.

Mike