Re: The Gun debate no LBC

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: The Gun debate no LBC
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 12:07:17 -0700
Well stated, Brad Fornal, David Lieb, and Robert Houston.

Regarding protecting 15 yr olds by hiding guns, I just have to weigh in
with an opinion-I grew up in a household with more guns than some small
museums, as later did my four children. In my case, a normal childhood
was weathered with a normal assortment of bullies, hazing, fights,
disappointments, and good times.  In retrospect, I could have taken a
veritable arsenal of weapons and ammo to school any time, but the
thought never entered my head. Why?? To paraphrase a politician's
statement of a few years ago, "it ain't the guns, stupid."

 I can't speak for my kids, as to whether they ever considered it, but
there were plenty of weapons for them to choose from if they decided to.
They did not decide to handle conflict this way either. I like to think
they learned the same values from me as I did from my father.

Guns are for killing, but only in a war, and/or in hunting.  Guns are
also for recreation in shooting tin cans and targets.  There are no
other uses for guns, and therefore I would have "had me hide tanned" or
some other appropriate punishment if I were ever caught pointing a gun
at someone, treating it like it wasn't loaded, treating it like a toy,
etc, etc.

Guns in my case, are collected for historical purposes (WWII carbine
collection), and target practice only-don't like hunting, don't like
killing my own meat, but know that I can if I need to.

Have never pointed or fired a gun at another human being in anger, and
hope to god I never have to. But---if I am forced to confront the
situation where I need to protect my life or family, I would rather at
least to have the option of a .357 or shotgun on my side to supplement
my silver tongue as I try to convince a doped up sociopath to leave my
house.

I know some folks are tired of this thread, but remember;

It's better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a
question without debate.

Ed in SO NM USA

59 AN 5

64 BJ8