Re: Centering timing chain cover

To: Glen Byrns <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu>
Subject: Re: Centering timing chain cover
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 15:53:03 -0800
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi Glen,

Glen Byrns wrote:

> Be sure to cut the cork front and rear pan seals to the suggested over-long
> length so that they compress the way they should.

If you have the right gasket set, you normally will never need to trim the cork
gasket ends.  They should stick up about 3/8" on each side before fitting up the
pan gasket. The groove in the pan end and the corks should be oiled so the cork
slips in the groove as they're compressed.  Just a tiny amount of sealant at the
junction of the block and the main caps is also nice.  That and a set of
alignment pins, it goes on sweetly!

Paul A