Re: Your Navy At Work (NO LBC)*

To: millerls@ado13.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Your Navy At Work (NO LBC)*
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 18:47:20 EST
In a message dated 12/3/02 4:36:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
millerls@ado13.com writes:
> Some pictures of your Navy at work during Operation Enduring Freedom in
> Afghanistan.

Great shots.  I was proud to hear, while the missle attacks were going on,
that the Arleigh Burke class destroyer USS John Paul Jones was one of the
central ships lobbing missles into Afghanistan.  My son is a plank owner on
the Jones, and I was privileged to have been involved in a Tiger Cruise with
him as he was returning from the Persian Gulf after a 6-month tour of duty.
I boarded in Honolulu and sailed to San Diego, her home port.  The sailors
were impressive and to see them at work is to verify that we are in good
hands.  The homecoming was precious and unforgettable.  The mothers were
wonderfully excited and frantic as the band played and the Jones made port,
they picking out their sons on board.  The tradition of the "First Kiss" was
unforgetable and I couldn't help but tear up at the procedings.

My son is now out of the Navy and is a full time Police Officer in a small
town here in Tennessee.  He found out he liked that line of work after a
short stint as a Shore Police while stationed in San Diego.

--David C.