Re: 1275 valve seals

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1275 valve seals
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 19:39:36 -0000
Just to put the counter-view on this.
After I had rebuilt my 1275 it blew out lots of blue smoke, usually
whilst at idle or accelerating.  Not on over-run.
I tried everything I could to sort it out until one day I decided to
put oil seals onto the exhaust valve stems, as well as on the the
inlets.
Problem cured.

The head had all new valves and new unleaded fuel - type guides so the
tollerance should have been correct - unless of course they had been
mchined wrongly.

Logically, it shouldn't draw oil down the exhaust stems, but it was
definately doing so!
Maybe there is a venturi effect as exhaust gas speeds out past the end
of the valve guide.

My advice would be try the engine without seals on the exhaust valves.
If it smokes badly you can always add them later. Even without
removing the head - use the string trick.

Guy