Re: 1275 valve seals

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1275 valve seals
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 20:25:57 -0000
Hi Cap'n Rob.
You may remember, a year or 18 months ago - it was a long running
thread called "blue smoke".  I got loadsa advice from the list, and
tried just about everything, including glaze busting and fitting new
camshaft kit. Eventually sorted it by adding the said exhaust valve
stem seals.
The head was newly preped and assembled for me by a reputable
engineering shop that I have used for years.  They may have got things
wrong, but I would be surprised.  The other possibility is that the
recommended operating clearance for these guides may be greater for
unleaded fuels.  The valves stems didn't feel slack in their guides.
Even then, as others have said, the  ex valves are closed when the
piston sucks (as it were).   When the valve is open the piston is
blowing so shouldn't pull in oil. As I mentioned, I suyspect a
venturi - effect past the valve guide end.  Vizard dosn't mention
anything on this though.

Guy