Re: 1275 transmission boot

To: JHa2297255@netscape.net
Subject: Re: 1275 transmission boot
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 18:56:10 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
JHa2297255@netscape.net wrote:
> is there a difference between them that necessitates using one over > the
>other?

The metal "cans" as I call them came on early Spridgets up to 68 or 69.
The vinyl "witches hat" was indroduced when they invented the "break
away" shift lever. If you have a shifter with a rubber doo-dad in the
middle, the metal can will not fit properly. Well it will if you use an
MGB rubber gaiter but the Spridget gaiter correct for the metal can will
interfere with the rubber doo-dad in the shifter.
I can't believe I just typed that!
But any shifter will fit any smooth or rib case trans so when I use the
can, I grab a solid shifter. I hate witches hats. I even have a can with
a 5 speed which they tell me can't be done. Again, it can be done with
the accordian MGB gaiter.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ