RE: two radiators Dec 2002 07:51:48 -0500

To: KansaR@diebold.com (Kansa, Robert)
Subject: RE: two radiators Dec 2002 07:51:48 -0500
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 13:46:05 -0500 (EST)
Cc: BCAH@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Actually....

Believe it or not, this is not as true as it
seems due to "boundary layer" effect, which I myself do not fully
understand.
in this particular case.

It's a situation sort of like what we talked
about yesterday concerning oil coming
down the exhaust valve guides during
the exhaust stroke and getting involved in the combustion process
(described
by Chuck Christ....."reversion") wherein
we stated it was all "outbound". Well,
there is so little "reversion" with stock
cam profiles it is not even worth talking
about but, as cam "duration" increases, it
becomes a different story, most definitely
for street applications where you'll be spending a good deal of time
"off" and/or
"below" the torque peak and may have the
cam matched to an upgraded head (Jon
Paschke's Longman GT6, for example).

IOW, a situation wherein it's not exactly as it "appears" on the surface
of it.

We do have some engineers on this list
so hopefully, they will see these posts
when they eventually "come on" and maybe we'll get some "scientific"
feedback
on this. I know boundary layer only as it
applies to airfoils and in this respect, know it is "real" in terms of
"effect".

This having been said, there is little doubt
in my mind that mounting water and oil
coolers separately from each other
(both out in the airflow) sounds like the best way to go as far as max
efficiency
from each and total overall cooling is concerned.

Cap'n. Bob (Ret'd)
      '60 Frog