Fw: Setting up a machine shop (NO LBC)

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Setting up a machine shop (NO LBC)
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 13:56:28 -0500
I have a friend who owns a tool & die company... It is where I do my
"government jobs". Based on that, I would recommend a Bridgeport end mill
(the old fashioned kind instead of the CNC unless you want to go to school
to learn how to run a CNC), bandsaw, cutoff saw, magnetic chuck grinder,
lots of hand tools, big air compressor, welder, large lathe, hydraulic
press, metal brake, and lots of safety equipment.

Depending on your location, you might be able to find commercial auctions
that are disposing of older, used equipment for a song. Also, in larger
metropolitan areas, there are re-sellers who buy at auction and sell at a
good price.

A word of caution about used equipment though - especially on lathes and
mills - check the chuck tolerances both cold and hot to make certain that
they are within specs!!! Of course, if you are not concerned with tolerances
in the thousandths, you need not do that...

My 2 cents...
Kent
1960 Bugeye
1978 Midget "Drippy" (How's that for a name?)
1976 Midget "Boneyard" (Now becoming a piece of eBay history!)

The shop needs to include things like a metal lathe, small milling machine,
drill press,
and other assorted machine shop type tools. If anyone on the list either
worked in a machine type (and can tell me what tooling is typical for one),
or had experiece setting one up,
Graz