Photo needed

To: spridgets-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Photo needed
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 12:49:54 -0800 (PST)
Does anyone have a photo that they could e-mail me of the top of the steering
column, with the steering wheel off, of a 62-67 Spridget. I'm attempting to get
the horn button functioning. I purchased the horn brush, a spring loaded piece
that passes through a hole in the steering whell and makes contact with a metal
ring, insulated from the rest of the steering column, that provides 12 volts.
The horn button shorts to ground  when pushed to make the horn work. Bugsy my
'68 Sprite appears to have a contact ring underneath there but the horn brush
does not contact it at the correct angle. It's real close but not close enough.
Brush passes past the edge and does not line up properly. Could be a mechanical
alignment thing as things appear to be close but there is a lot of play in the
end of the horn brush. I'm curious as to what a '62-67 Spridget looks like
underneath things to see if I'm missing or need to fabricate / create some sort
of wider contact ring for the horn brush to rub up against. Not a lot of room
under there and the idea of starting an electrical fire inside the steering
column doesn't appeal to me. Any ideas?

BTW - Steering Wheel Nuts on Spridgets with Collapsible Steering Columns post
'68 use a 9/16 x 28 TPI Nut, Before '68 the nut was a 11/16? x 24. I might
surmise that Domestic Spridgets didn't get collapsible columns until '72 and
U.S. Exports was required to have collapsible columns beginning in '68. VB
catalog is incorrect on nut sizes to order. I was able to resolve my crossed
threads problem with a Thread File from my local Sears Hardware. Another new
useful tool I own thanks to Bugsy. Thanks to all for your help.

Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Dayton, OH