SUVs (LBC content at end)

To: Spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: SUVs (LBC content at end)
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 09:04:24 -0600
Since we're talking about excess here, I am constantly amazed at the
number of "Urban HumVees" I see around town.  I haven't ridden in one,
but from what I hear, they not only cost an arm and a leg, they are
rough to ride in and guzzle gas like it's a dime a gallon.  None of
these owners needs one of these things to survive the horrid winters of
the Great Plains (it was 70F here two days ago and we haven't seen snow
since '99).  They want a $70K status symbol, pure and simple.  They want
the world to know "I can afford one and you can't".  I don't care what
color you paint it, it's spelled U-G-L-Y!

If you want a cool bumper sticker, go find the Car Talk web site where,
for less than the price of a gallon of gas, you can get 10 bumper
stickers that say: "Not Everyone Needs an SUV - Live larger, Drive
Smaller".  At one time they would send you one free for a stamped,
self-addressed envelope, but I don't see that option now.  This can be
found at <<http://cartalk.cars.com/info/suv/sticker2.html>>.  From this
page they have quite a few articles and links about the disadvantages of
SUVs.  Good stuff, IMHO.

They have a section besmirching SUV's, and there is a group out there
called Earth on Empty that hands out "violation tickets" to SUVs.  These
tickets explain the detrimental effects SUVs have on humanity.  The
address: <<http://cartalk.cars.com/info/suv-tickets/>>

And now, the obligatory LBC content, Tom Magliozzi, one of the two
brothers of Car Talk, bought and drives a 1952 MGTD.  Found at:
<<http://cartalk.cars.com/About/MGTD/>>.

Tim C.
Lincoln, NE