Steering Rack

To: bryant@sonic.net
Subject: Steering Rack
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 12:22:44 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Spridgets Digest <spridgets-digest@autox.team.net>
Bill while you are at it consider replacing the pinion gear. Fro a '73 I
believe the part is only $6.95 for VB. Pre '68 Pinions are $60-70 but htis one
is cheap. I did it with Bugsy's rack and it took a whole lot of play out of the
steering. Look at the instructions in a LBC book on setting pinion gear lash /
spacing. You'll find a whole bunch of shims under there that you need. I of
course didn't have a manual and reassembly to get things right without the rack
binding were hit and miss. Be sure not to overtighten pinion gear brass plate
as you'll warp it and it will leak. This is one of those 10' lbs or so bolts.
Pounding on back of plate on flat metal surface will remove warp and cleanup
with fine paper. Reinstall with lots of RTY and it will not leak. Refill rack
with 90 weight gear oil. Difficult to do without opening access ports / nuts on
each end of rack. Add fluid, move rack back and forth, add more fluid, move
rack. Rack has grease fitting on it but takes 90wt Gear oil. I never have found
a way to get oil into that fitting.

Replace pinch bolt with new and get a new steel locking nut not a nylock. Sears
Hardware sells a nice bolt and nut that will work. Use Locktite and a lock
washer on both sides of the bolt head and the nut.

I added a lowering kit and swaybay. I now can't get jack under car. I'd forget
about the lowering kit but definitely go for a swaybay. Ask the list if anyone
is parting out a car. I got one for $20 and added new bushings. Holes are
already drilled and tapped under there. Will need to clean out with a tap.
Definitely makes a big difference in handling.

I think you said you went for new shocks. That alone made the biggest
difference in handling. Don't forget new rear shocks. Stuff I did to the front
end made Bugsy reall handle but he was tail wagging. I replaced rears and
fronts with Peter C's shocks and it really made a difference. Like night and
day. when I first got Bugsy, hitting a tar strip would make you change lanes.
Now he sticks and goes where I point him. Front end work was expensive but
definitely worth the effort.

Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Dayton, OH