Fuel Cells

To: "Spridgets Digest" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <bugeye15@hotmail.com>
Subject: Fuel Cells
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 22:04:03 -0500
Also check www.atlinc.com  No one has a "direct replacement" at reasonable
cost though.  Stock sizes are listed in the catalogs.  I had ATL custom-make
a "direct replacement" cell for my MGB.  Cost was $1400.  It still required
some minor surgery.  But, I now have a 12.5 gal tank that takes up only
slightly more space than the original.  And, it retains the original filler
on the right rear above the bumper.

I'm looking for a new fuel cell for my Turner & looked at one of ATL's units
that is designed to fit the spare tire well of contemporary cars.  They have
an 8 & a 12 gallon version.  They are 6" & 8" deep respectively.  Smaller
one is 22" in diameter, but looks like one side of it is flat.  I need to
measure front-back space tomorrow.  Both require a shell to be fabricated to
enclose the bladders.  Otherwise, shallowest cells are 8.5" to 9" deep.  (My
current 8" deep cell has hit ground too many times.)  I really don't want to
do surgery on the trunk floor.  But, that may be the only solution.

So Brian, there may be no easy solution for either of us.

Norm Sippel
'66 MGB
'59 Turner