Re: No more British Car Magazine

To: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: No more British Car Magazine
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 14:01:16 -0500
Yes British Car Magazine has been bought by Grassroots Motorsports.
However, from what Gary Anderson has stated it will continue to cover our
cars.
Below are two messages from Gary that should dispell any of our fears.  I
don't think Gary will object to these being deseminated.  Biff Jones

-----
Gary Anderson wrote:

OK -- Here's a brief form of the press release, a draft of which got out
onto the web:
Genie and I have sold British Car Magazine to Motorsports Publishing, the
publishers of Grassroots Motorsports. Tim Suddard and his wife Marjorie, and
Genie and I have been friends for all the years we've owned British Car and
have been talking for years about the magazines we both want to see on the
newsstand. We finally agreed this week on how we could put our ideas and
aspirations into action.
With Motorsports Publishing financial backing, we will be expanding British
Car Magazine into, at the beginning, a 100-page full color magazine. I have
agreed to be editor of the expanded magazine. We intend to take all the good
things we're giving our British Car readers and continue doing that, but add
additional technical material (everything from a detailed analysis of wire
wheels for both street and track use to a project MG Midget that the staff
will be building over the next six months to make it better than any Miata
out there, at less than the cost of a used Miata). We will also be adding
more vintage racing coverage (including technical stuff on improving cars
and driving skills). Oh, by the way, because most gear heads often wonder
about cars other than the ones they love, we'll be adding an article or so
each issue on a non-British car (Probably a Volvo 1900 roadster in the first
issue.)

Bottom line, all the pages of British stuff you've always had, plus more
hard-hitting stuff about your cars, and some other nationality cars as well.

We're about to go to press with issue 102 of British Car, which will hit the
streets in early March. Subscribers will then receive the first issue of
Compact Autosport & British Car in May.

After working with the staff here in Florida for the past few days, working
through everything from transition logistics to an expanded editorial
calendar, I am really excited about what the new magazine is going to look
like, and I think you are going to be too.

if you have any questions, put them up on the web, or email me directly (for
that matter, you can email Tim Suddard, GRMTIM@aol.com, with questions or
comments as well.

Cheers
Gary Anderson
 Just reread my furious typing and I managed to get a few little details
slightly typoed.
Like the new name of the magazine.

For a period of time in the transition, it will appear as Classic Autosport
& British Car (or something to indicate the marriage). Eventually, it will
become Classic Autosport. Tim reminds me that the company is Motorsport
Marketing.

And absolutely, all British Car subscriptions and renewals will carry into
the new magazine for the full time that everyone's paid up. The new magazine
will also be six issues, and there will be no interruption in the publishing
schedule. The only folks who will miss seeing the first new issue will be
those who decide not to renew and take a wait-and-see attitude. (And you
know how much people regret not getting, or keeping those first issues of
Road & Track which are now collectable).

In the mean time, tell me what you like about British Car and what you wish
we would do if we have more color and sixteen more pages. That will help us
focus on making things bigger, bettter, and more useful.

Our watchword is that we're writing for enthusiasts who use their classic
cars. We're also going to be adding more features for enthusiasts who want
to improve the safety, reliability, and performance of their cars whether
they just use them for an occasional tour, drive them daily, or race them on
the track.

Cheers
Gary