Re: towing sprite

To: "spridget list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: towing sprite
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 11:54:42 -0600
I am not entirely sure about the Spridget tranny, but I do know that the
non-overdrive transmission used in the MGA and MGB had a typically Rube
Goldberg British engineering solution that caused rotation of the tailshaft
to circulate oil through the rear bearings and bushings of the tailshaft in
order to prevent damage to the trans while being towed. This naturally
presumes that there is oil in the trans. I have been told that this is
definitely NOT the case with the Datsun 210 5-speeds we like to implement in
our toys. Do NOT under any circumstances tow one of these with the
driveshaft attached. Frank's argument for disconnecting from the normal
trans is also very strong; I am sure it is not a usual occurance, but once
is all it takes to ruin your week.
David Lieb
1972 RWA Midget
1973 RWA Project