Re: [midgetsprite] Clutch advice please?

To: midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [midgetsprite] Clutch advice please?
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 21:00:39 EST
In a message dated 2/20/03 7:16:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
wolfbj@prodigy.net writes:
> had the dreaded sound of the fan hitting the radiator the
> other day as I pulled up to a stop light.  Lasted about 30 seconds (long
> enough for me to get the Midget stopped).  Searched and searched for signs
> of anything hitting anything.  Nothing. I have heard that this is an
> indication of a clutch problem, Has anyone experience this?
>
> Now I have a slight vibration through the drivetrain. Question - Should I
> be
> expecting a catistrophic(sp) failure of the clutch real soon, or should I
> be
> able to drive it a while yet?  And if failure is to be expected, is there
> any danger of this clutch failure causing some other damage?

Wonder if you might have spun out a thrust bearing?  That would push the
driveshaft forward when you hit the clutch and it might make the fan hit the
radiator.  You can check this by having someone push the clutch while you
watch the fan.  If it moves forward you have probably dropped a thrust
bearing.  If this is the case, best get it replaced ASAP.  Also, get the
darned thing pinned in place by a machine shop so it will stay put.

Not sure, if the thrust bearing is not dropped.  The drive train vibration is
curious.  Other listers will have a bead on this, I am sure.

--David C.