Re: [midgetsprite] Clutch advice please?

To: DLancer7676@cs.com, midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [midgetsprite] Clutch advice please?
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 22:57:39 EST
Wonder if you might have spun out a thrust bearing?  That would push the
driveshaft forward when you hit the clutch and it might make the fan hit the
radiator.  You can check this by having someone push the clutch while you
watch the fan.  If it moves forward you have probably dropped a thrust
bearing.

In regard to the dropping of a thrust bearing, the fan is part of the water
pump. If you drop the thrust bearing the crank shifts forward and back and
the fan does not. It does make noise and vibration but remains till it spins
a bearing on a rod and you can't hear the radio. ( past experience). Not fun.

The noise you have could be something I also experienced A broken motor
mount. This make the motor move with the motion of the car and was
intermittent, which drove me crazy till I fond the problem. check this out
maybe you'll get lucky because this is an easy fix. Good luck.
George
76 midget
80 mgb project