Re: [midgetsprite] Re: Clutch advice please?

To: midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com, wolfbj@prodigy.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [midgetsprite] Re: Clutch advice please?
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 05:47:20 EST
In a message dated 2/21/03 2:33:20 AM Eastern Standard Time,
guy@weller-lakes.freeserve.co.uk writes:
> Secondly try a pry-bar behind the crank pulley to check if there is
> play in the crankshaft.
>
> It sounds to me as if the crank thrust bearings have dropped out. If
> this has happened it could give the vibration problem that you
> mention. They are not difficult to replace with the engine in situ (
> although I don't know if the mod for pin-ing in place can be done)  I
> always used to put mine in with bearing locktight on the rear face.

I agree with Guy, and would even go the step of dropping the oil pan, which
is an easy do with the engine in place.  That would give you a look-see as to
whether there are thrust bearings (or pieces) lying in the bottom of the pan,
plus an eyeball on the rear thrust bearing to be sure everything is ok there.
 This would be a good step before pulling the engine.  And I have always had
the engine out and taken the block to the machinist to have the thrust
bearing pinned.  I don't think you could pin it with the crank in place and
the crank won't drop with the engine in place.

--David C.