LBC buying

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: LBC buying
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 10:15:48 -0500
Cc: mg-t@autox.team.net
Listers:
I know that 99% of lawyers give all the rest a bad name, but I believe we have
a few of the maligned among us who might opine on the following:

I'm putting a substantial deposit down on the car in another state that I won't
be picking up for several weeks.  The seller has suggested I place my deposit
in her lawyer's escrow account.  I don't even trust MY lawyer, so why would I
send a check to her lawyer?

I called the guy and asked him that question and he basically said "We handle
millions of dollars per year through our escrow department.... and the bar
association....and ethics....and blahblahblah."

Nevertheless, it seems to me that the seller's lawyer represents the seller's
interests.  If the deal doesn't go through because it turns out the car was
painted with Krylon, will it be a problem to get my escrowed money back?

help!

John Deikis

P.S.  I realise everyone has an opinion on those who inhabit the legal
profession.  But rather than start a humorous thread at the expense of
attorneys in general, maybe we could limit responses to those out there who
know about escrow accounts and the practices of New York State Bar-admitted
lawyers.  (Houston and Shlafer...if you can't restrain yourselves, feel free to
email me off list.  I'm sure your insights into the world of sharks are not to
be missed!  ;-))