Dropping the oil pan, advice needed

To: Spridgets Digest <spridgets-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dropping the oil pan, advice needed
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 11:27:23 -0800 (PST)
Got Bugsy all jacked up today with the intent of droppoing the oil pan and
replacing the gasket to cure Bugsy's telltale signature. Not a big teltalle
signature just 3 dime sized drops wherever he stops, usually growing to quarter
sized if left overnight. Engine apparently has been rebuilt and has slight leak
around front and rear of crank seal.

Got all bolts off and was prepared for pan to simply drop off and hit me in the
face. Pulled and pried a little, still in place. Thunked several times with
rubber mallet, still in place. Pulled as hard as the limited leverage one can
get. Still stuck in place.

At this point do I

1) Try to find some sort of prybar to get under the edge of the pan and wail on
it possibly bending the oil pan and causing more problems than I already have.

2) Leave things alone, reinstall the new bolt kit / washers I purchased and
keep supplies of cardboard handy to keep underneath Bugsy in the garage.

I'm tempted at this point to leave well enough alone and hope that loosening
and removing all bolts won't be a problem to retighten at 6' lbs. of torque and
not have a leak. Your advice is appreciated. There are plenty of other Bugsy
projects to work on, including starting on Bugeye Bonnet bodywork. Thanks.

Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Dayton, OH