RE: Oil leakage

To: "'James Dowling'" <jimdinalameda@hotmail.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Oil leakage
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 09:00:39 -0600
Jim--
This sort of thing can be caused by excessive crankcase pressure.  As the
pistons move up and down, particularly if there is some leakage past the
rings, you get positive pressure inside the block.  It normally gets vented
through the canister attached to the timing cover and sometimes through the
rocker cover.  Stock fitment usually has a little suction put on these areas
by way of a vacuum line attached to the intake manifold.  You might check to
see that these vents hoses are open and connected to sources of vacuum.  My
impression is that A-series motors are generally considered to be
"under-ventilated" and this contributes to the rear "non-seal" leakage,
dipstick blow-by, and other greasy events around the engine room.  In the
meantime, you can keep things cleaner by taking out the dipstick and running
a hose from the tube into a 1-pint or larger plastic catch can (made of a
plastic bottle of some sort that you can hold fast in the engine bay using
long tie-wraps).
--JohnD