Re: Curta (pepper-grinder)

To: grbyrns@ucdavis.edu, chuckc@attglobal.net
Subject: Re: Curta (pepper-grinder)
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 11:28:30 EST
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
grbyrns@ucdavis.edu writes:

> They actually gave this "Curta" guy a patent on this?  When I saw it I
> recognized it as a new version of a MUCH older device called the "Babbidge
> Difference Engine", an entirely mechanical gear-filled device that
> performed
> mathematical calculations.  Charles Babbidge invented it in the 19th
> century.  Looks like Curta put one over on the patent office.

- - - - - - - - - -

This quote is from www.computer-museum.org.

"This strange looking device has one of the most interesting stories in
computer history. The Curta mechanical calculator was designed by Curt
Herzstark during World War II while a prisoner in a Nazi concentration camp.
It was originally earmarked as a gift to Hitler to celebrate the winning of
the war. Instead, Mr. Herzstark took his invention to the small country of
Lichtenstein, where it was manufactured and sold as the Curta Calculator.

"Originally selling for $120, the little machine was very popular among
certain groups, especially car rally enthusiasts. Although many were sold
(140,000 of both types I and II), they are considered to be a rare and
collectible item, especially those that are still operational."

Interesting!

BTW, an original, Curta Model 1, with box and instructions, sold for $1300 on
eBay.

Allen Hefner
Phila. Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 MG Midget  (#51 FSP)