Car Shows FILETIME=[2203CE20:01C2EBC3]

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>, Yahoo Spridget list <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Car Shows FILETIME=[2203CE20:01C2EBC3]
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 07:51:24 -0600
Cleaned up the two running toys, and went to a local "park and
gab"session. No registration fee, no dash plaques, and no judging. Just
a chance for anyone with any interest to stop, wander in, and talk about
cars. Of course, all the kids come running to the Sprites, and I had
more than a few parents hang around and chat for a half hour or better.
I was sitting down when a guy and his son came up. The son stood by the
68 and dad went off a few steps to snap a photo. I immediately jumped
up. NO!! I hollered.
I told him the best photo of his son, would be with him IN the car. Man,
was that one happy kid. He got a nice shot of him with one hand on the
wheel and his elbow sticking out the side. They stayed and talked for a
while as well. I had a participant offer to sell me a 66 Sprite for
$800. When I asked him if it ran, he laughed and said "not for that
price it doesn't" I proceeded to tell him what I had paid for my cars,
running. That took the wind out of his sails, to say the least. Later,
someone came along wanting to know where to get a little car like ours.
I called the seller of the 66 over to talk to them. His car has been
rear ended, needs the entire trunk area replaced. And he can't recall
when it had last been started. He looked under the bonnet of the 65 and
"thought" that he had all those parts with his. I gave him my card at
the end of the day, maybe when he needs some quick cash, he will come up
with a good price and give me a call.
The thing that amused me, was the folks looking to sell me their cars. I
was offered an 72 MGB (which I went and took photos of), a 60 Sunbeam
Alpine, and a Tr!#$%H GT6+. If there are any list members that have a
specific wish list for a car, AND are willing to travel to Texas for it.
I will do my best to help. I am going to another car show this
afternoon, in a town about 20 miles away. It is a small town, lots of
barns and pasture area, no telling what is in those weeds. For those
that don't know, I first got infected, with my BRG 65 Midget bought out
of a barn (must be a variant of Hanta Virus) locally for $100. Had I
known then what I know now, I would not have paid so much for it!!!
Anyway, British Car Week is coming up, get your cars out. Let the kids
see them, put them behind the wheel, they are the collectors and
restorers of tomorrow. We won't be here forever, but if we pass the love
for our cars along, a Spridget can be.

Brad