Re: Peace Activist Etiquette ...very little LBC (delete now if yo u do

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Peace Activist Etiquette ...very little LBC (delete now if yo u don't like rants)
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 21:03:26 -0800
Carl, et. al.
I give extra credit to my students for political activism, any activism.
I am a teacher, I have been teaching for almost four years, and  I own 2
LBCs.  This is my first posting to this e-mail ring.
I teach social studies (World, U.S. History, economics, international
relations, government). Some brief comments on the state of education in my
state (California) and what I see in my classroom.  I am not a liberal
teacher, I am not a Baby Boomer (actually I am a Gen Xer), and I was
enlisted in the Army for 8 years. I do stress the contributions of service
personnel in all U.S. armed conflicts including Viet Nam.  Like all military
actions in our past, the U.S.'s entry into armed conflict has been the
result of complex circumstances (Some questionable, Gulf of Ton kin some
outright belligerent 1950 Korea).  Textbooks have changed to address changes
in the classroom.  From my view point American demographics are change very,
very quickly.  Attitudes and opinions about our U.S. system of government
and how power is used in it are going to be challenged more frequently and
intensely.  Fundamental ideas concerning inclusion and tolerance are being
stressed, but not necessarily received.  Some students I see in my class are
conflicted, I see it in their writing, in their discussions, and viewpoints.
It is overwhelming at times.  I must recall my own adolescence, issues were
emotional, not objective.  I can only hope to stress critical thinking
skills, bring attention to issues and stretch their application of logic.
Example:  R. Kelly accused of statutory rape and black balled;  Roman
Polanski accused of statutory rape and given an Oscar.  It is a good student
comparison that was discussed for 15 minutes this week in one of my classes,
we analyzed it brought out similarities and inconsistencies both.  Bottom
line:  I live in the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals where it is questionable
if "under God" is acceptable in the pledge, I live in a state that is $35
billion in the red, I live in a state where 65%+ of all new teachers are
loosing their jobs (myself and my wife included), I live in state where I
have to convince my students that education is important to their collective
and individual futures while they all know I have received a pink slip.
California is coming, and we still say the entire pledge most every day.
Anyone need a soap box?

Curtis in Sacramento

1960 MK I Sprite
1959 Riley 1.5
1962 Buick Skylark Conv.

"I wish that I knew what I know now, when I was younger,
 I wish that I knew what I know now, when I was stronger."
Scottish Poet Rod Steward  :^)