Re: 356 Handling NOW old vs. new sports cars

To: cfchrist@earthlink.net, kgb2@centurytel.net, thistle_3619@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: 356 Handling NOW old vs. new sports cars
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 22:37:39 EDT
Cc: spridgets-digest@autox.team.net
cfchrist@earthlink.net writes:

> 29 years with the same bugeye and counting!  gimmie personality any day of
> the week!
> yeah new stuff has incredible refinements to their "evrything".  but you do
> not need to know how to handle a car that practically drives itself!  on
> the
> other hand making a bugeye stand on it's ear flyind down a "twisty" is a
> whole other experience!   and with a full competition suspension yet
> another
> exciting experience!
>
> chuck.
> gimmie personality any day!
> that's why my harley has wire wheels and drum brakes!
> that's why i have 2 '55 chevies!
> that's why i still own my bugeye!
> and the number one reason i vintage race!

OK, I have a confession to make.  Atter buying a gently used BMW M Roadster
last month, I'm seriously considering selling the Bugeye.

I don't take this lightly.  I've had at least one Spridget since I was 19
years old, and had a Triumph during that time, as well.  I love the old
Brits!  However, given only one good garage space and our harsh winters,
during which I won't drive either of them, and given the astonishing list of
astonishing things the M Roadster is capable of, I'm having a hard time
coming up with a good reason to keep it.  I could store it, but I know I'd
rarely go to the trouble to get it out of storage and run it, and it would
just sit there for no good reason.  I also know that it's good enough to be
absolutely treasured by someone, somewhere, and I hate to leave it sit,
unused.

As long as I've had LBCs, I've almost always also had a reliable daily and
winter driver, too.  There is no way I was going to drive an old Brit through
the snow, and I feel the same way about the M -- just not built for the snow
or salt.  So, for the first time since I was a teenager, I'm considering
being without an LBC.  Part of me feels like a sellout to big power and
modern chassis design, and part of me feels like a grown up ready to stop
playing with those charming little toys and get serious.

When I sold my first Midget after 11 years, the first thing I did was walk
into the house and throw up.  It won't be easy to see the Bugeye go, but the
time may have come.  I figure I have another month to decide...

Chris Eck
59 Bugeye
99 M Roadster
85 Saab winter beater