Re: undercoating new panels

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: undercoating new panels
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 16:05:47 EDT
In a message dated 4/16/03 12:28:07 AM, JHa2297255@netscape.net writes:

<< I didnt get any response before, but has anyone used asphalt based spray
undercoating or rubberized undercoating and does it work? I use cold galv
compound as weld thru and after primer, but looking for something to topcoat
for longevity. I think it would effectively seal the metal atmospherically. >>

The bugeye had some sort of tarrus uglius undercoating from the factory.  It
was painted the same color as the car.  It lasted til we had it media blasted
off in 1996, and we didn't replace it.  Never cracked and the paint stayed
on--must have been good stuff.

As long as you are sealing and not hiding, the rubberized undercoating
probably would lessen your chances of  rust.  We didn't personally go that
direction (we painted the underside) but it still sounds like a good idea,
particularly if the car is likely to get very wet.  The paint works, by the
way, but I have to wax the wheelwells and underbody.

Annice & Bob
1960 Bugeye (Mk. IV in disguise) "The Sprite"
1966 Sprite Mk. III (Still in Boxes) "Trevor"