Re: Sucked Into Head?

To: Gerard <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Subject: Re: Sucked Into Head?
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 20:11:48 -0700
Cc: Glen Byrns <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Thought I would give update on metal sucked into engine.

First, thanks to Glen, Gerard, Bob, David, Pilot Bob, & Peter C (sorry
if I forgot anyone) for responding to question. Good advice all the way
around.

Ran out to APT on Friday & got a pre-emission throttle disc (solid,
without overrun valve hole); Oh, Peter - I didn't solder a penny over
hole,  I wouldn't waste money like that ;^) - it was the original disc
from the overrun valve minus the valve.

Removed intake manifold, did not find anything around valves. Removed
the spark plugs & shined light into chambers - could see metal bits in
#3, others looked clean. I hooked up shop vac with several reducing
hoses until I had one that fit perfectly thru spark plug holes. Vacuumed
several chunks (1/16 -1/8") out of #3 chambers. Ran compression tests #1
- 175, #2-175, #3 - 0, #4-20 (Blast!). I thought that even with
scratched  rings I should get SOME compression in #3, so thought (hoped)
that a small piece of debris was stopping valve from closing, therfore
no compression at all.

Pulled head. Yep, I could seen a tiny bit of brass on side of exhaust
valves for both #3 & #4 chambers. Removed intake & exhaust valves from
#3 & 4, and removed debris bit from each. Valves & seats look fine, no
scratches, etc. I will clean up tomorrow & re-install head after I get
new head gasket (other one stuck & tore facing off in one corner).
Pistons & chambers looked very good so I don't think any damage there.
So looks like I dodged a bullet there.

Thanks again to everyone for their advice.

Jim Rogers
San Juan Capistrano, CA