Re: Compressor question

To: "Chris King" <cbking@alum.rpi.edu>
Subject: Re: Compressor question
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 06:48:51 -0700
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Chris,

I got a free compressor from a buddy and planned to use to paint my cars.
It didn't recharge fast enough so I swapped out the very small pulley on the
motor for the biggest one that would still allow the motor to start up.  It
re-charges much faster now and has done three cars since then.  Jusat
because the manufacturer stuck a particular pulley on the motor doesn't mean
its the best choice for your use.

Glen

> Today I finally got around to firing up the free compressor I got last
year. It works reasonably well, but it does take a _long_ time to build up
pressure (20 min from 0-90psi). It'll most likely be fine to run the finish
nailer I bought, but I doubt if I could run air tools for any length of
time.

> My question is - can I solve this by swapping out the compressor head (the
piston unit)? The tank is faily large (don't know capacity, but is about  a
4 foot long 14" diameter cylinder). The motor is a 3/4HP unit. Harbor
freight sells replacemet heads, but they start at 1.5HP. Will this work?