Re: VIN Verification

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: VIN Verification
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 21:53:03 -0400
You all in those nice cooperative states have got the world easy.  I have
been listening to this post for awhile, and here is another story.  First of
all I must admit, I was suprised because California DMV was the only DMV to
attempt to help.

Car bought in Texas from estate, recieved bill of sale. and the old
California license plate (1981). In Florida, I needed a copy of the death
notice, a copy of the executer's authorization, because no title - a copy of
the DMV report from the last registered state (Cali) (Oh ya, the DMV report
had to include the owners name and adress) (Cost extra in Cali to get and
more time, requires registered letter from Cali DMV to listed address to be
returned either unopened or opened and permission granted. Once the DMV
report was recieved, I must send a registered letter to the address
requesting the title. It must be returned unopened (These letters must
remain unopened - must be opened by Florida DMV). Now the problem starts -
Texas gentleman never registered the vehicle (different registered owner in
Cali) All letters to the last know registered owner where returned unopened.
(California DMV was great with all this.) Florida - no way. They refuse to
register the vehicle without a VIN Search by Local Police (again must be
carried by me to DMV Unopened) Search results of VIN Nationwide - No Hits.
Florida DMV ready to register vehicle except one person notices the G at the
end of the VIN is listed as a 6 on the Cali paperwork. Now the only way to
register this vehicle in Florida is to hire a lawyer and sue the Florida DMV
to get a Judge to issue a judgement demanding the Florida DMV issue a Title
to said Vehicle.

Just another DMV Horror Story!!!
Brent