Re: bugeye hard top question?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: bugeye hard top question?
Date: Sat, 3 May 2003 02:09:19 EDT
In a message dated 5/2/03 1:46:04 PM, cfchrist@earthlink.net writes:

<< alrighty!  i'm down to one question left for my hard top's refinishing.
it
apears that the inside was painted but there is so little to go by i am
unable to determine the right color.  it's not a perfect restoration but i'd
like to get it relativly close.   it looks like it might have been a shade
of gray?  just tiny specks and flecks of paint remain.       very difficult
to determine what it was.
any input?

Originally there was nothing on the bugeye top--just unsanded fiberglass
inside color.  Latex paint looked good on them, and thats probably what the
gray stuff is.  I did mine in linen white from Sears years ago.  My painter
painted it Nevada Beige like everything else in 1996.  You can still see the
fiberglass threads.  The nicest one I've seen is Steve Bell's--the one with
the arrow on the hood.  Five years ago it was painted with craft store
spatter paint in green and black spatters over white.  It looked fabulous for
very little effort on the inside.  His top is black, and you might want to
consider a lighter shade if yours is a light color.  Don't know if there is
anyone around who can tell you about a DMH top--I sure can't.

Annice & Bob
1960 Bugeye (Mk. IV in disguise) "The Sprite"
1966 Sprite Mk. III (Still in Boxes) "Trevor"