Re: what type of air compressor?

To: "Jeffrey H. Boatright" <jboatri@emory.edu>
Subject: Re: what type of air compressor?
Date: Sat, 03 May 2003 21:37:33 -0400 5.0; U)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Unless you find a good used one, you're going to have to spend more than $200.
But not a lot more.  Check out Sears on sale.  They have
endured well for me.

I don't like the oiless.  They are loud and irritating.  And I think those
machines are the worst offenders in exaggerated HP claims.
My Sears 5HP delivers 9.3 CFM at 90psi.  That's the best comparison to make.
Mine has a 20 gallon tank, so it doesn't take up much
space, and it's relatively portable if need be.  This is a separate motor and
oil bath compressor.  The traps I use clean it up well
enough for quality painting.

While you can get by with a smaller machine, the cost benefit of the 5HP vs. a
1 hp might make you doubt the wisdom of buying the
smaller one, and the extra oomph is nice to have in a shop.

Jim